Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ramble-y Sunday

Tonight, as a family, we each picked an article out of one of the Church magazines. (The Friend, New Era, and The Ensign)
I chose my article out of the Ensign. It is entitled: The Best Time to Plant a Tree by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf (Second Counselor in the First Presidency). (http://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/01/the-best-time-to-plant-a-tree?lang=eng)
This little Article President Uchtdorf wrote really reminded me what new years resolutions are really all about. It's not about making a huge long list of things you never plan to accomplish. It is supposed to help you rid yourself of old habits and take a step further into becoming the best you, you can be! Resolutions in this day and age are mostly worldly. If we take the time to make meaningful worthy resolutions we are so much closer to becoming Christ-like and living with our father in heaven again, and that is ultimately what I want in my life.
I'm very grateful for all the people who have been such great examples to me throughout my journey here on earth. Lots of babysitters, and older girls in the ward are especially ones that I look up to. It's sad to see that a few have fallen away from the church. I understand that they are exercising their agency, but it is still a sad thought.
As I have reflected on my life and seen all the women who have been examples to me. It makes me want to be a better example. A lot of these women probably don't even know I look up to them. How do I know who is watching me? Who wants to be like me? I wouldn't want someone, later in life, regret looking up to me. As I go throughout this new year I want to strive to be a better example.
In 1 Timothy 4:12 it says: "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." This is a scripture I want to strive my best to follow.
And this my dear friends, concludes my Sunday night thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment