Saturday, January 24, 2015

Under Pressure

You know, I live in Orem, Utah. I know that there is alcohol and drugs and sex but none of those have ever been offered to me nor have I ever felt pressure or been tempted in any way to do anything of that sort. 
But Saturday night was different. I feel almost ashamed. There was a pressure. But not like anything I would have guessed before. I wasn't ever tempted at all but I could still feel that underlying pressure. 
Was it really necessary? To make half of us uncomfortable? And the other half feel pressured to fit in? 
It makes me sad to think of a few people who were there, who I know felt so uncomfortable and we're really not okay with what was going on but felt the pressure to fit in so they did what they probably wouldn't have otherwise. 
I'm so thankful that I am confident with myself and with my values that I can choose not to participate and leave the room and do my own thing without feeling like a goody-good. I'm grateful that I am okay enough with myself.  I'm also thankful for my friends and their great examples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment